Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Two Rights Don't Make A Wrong

Bill

Sounds like you’re mad. Reminds me of how I used to feel when I the Bushites were in power, and how I may feel again if G-d forbid, Romney ascends.

One small correction is in order I believe. The administration has granted a narrow exemption to institutions that serve mostly members of the same faith. What it has refused to do is allow institutions to deny contraceptive services to large groups who do not share that faith   

What I find so interesting here is that you don’t seem to have any problem denying such rights to women, such as my 20 year old daughter, who most certainly is not Catholic, and who would want, and deserve,  contraceptive services from any employer or institution she entered. Yet only the rights of the institution count. I’m sure you’ll explain to me in another posting how imposing one’s will upon another is consistent with a libertarian world view.

Here are 2 rights in conflict. In a perfect world some way would and likely could, as I have argued earlier, be found to honor both rights. But that doesn’t seem relevant.

I also find a certain irony in all this concern for institutions that have seldom extended that concern to others. With a few exceptions, the blood lust to persecute seems embedded in the DNA of religion itself, and the record of it on all sides is so long, so extensive, and so ongoing that cataloging the list of atrocities committed in the name of “faith” is a hopeless task. My god is better that your god. Your god doesn’t count. In fact, YOU don’t count. After that it’s just a matter of time before we start counting the corpses


 Eli


No comments:

Post a Comment