Saturday, March 17, 2012

What's Best for Consumers?

Eli,

I read with interest your You Can Treat Your Workers Right and Still Make Money. But I wasn't aware there was much controversy around this. Didn't Henry Ford demonstrate this 100 years ago? I believe if the Costco model is superior to Wal-Mart's, gradually Wal-Mart will die, or change, and Costco will survive and thrive.

I guess it just shows to go ya there is more than one way to skin a cat.

It's a very interesting dichotomy between the two companies and lots of ink has been spilled trying to account for the success of both, (which differs than the performance of the stock over short time periods like one year) given their different wage policies. I've never given too much thought to the difference since my focus is usually on the consumer.

When I shop I often am willing to pay for service. Which is one reason I love my local hardware store and  avoid the dreaded Home Depot. At times Home Depot has run into trouble because of this lack of service.  No clue what Costco service is like, but Wal-Mart's is non-existent, one of the reasons I rarely shop there.

But what brought this up? You quote one story from 2008 and another from 2004. Finally catching up on your email?

Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment