Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Gun Issue

Bill,

I haven't read through the President's proposal in detail, and as such am am not qualified to opine as to what parts of I like and don't like. I do agree with the return of the assault weapons ban and a ban on high capacity magazines. I think such actions might reduce the magnitude of the mass killings that plague us, although I accept the likelihood that such actions will  have a modest effect upon the overall appalling incidence of deaths in which the instrument used is firearm (the most neutral way I can put it). From a public health perspective, most gun related deaths are accidents and suicides; as such they are directly related to gun availability, and the gun of choice is a legally purchased and owned handgun.

Eli


No comments:

Post a Comment