Sunday, January 6, 2013

Reform For All

Bill,

Thank you providing the correct voting totals for OH and PA and remedying my error. I had searched in vain for them. Shows once again why you are the superior scholar of politics. Nevertheless I don't think those totals negate the argument that gerrymandering disenfranchises voters.

I would embrace any solution that maximizes the influence of every voter. I don't think that citizens living in CT1 (Larson, 8 terms), or CT3 (DeLauro, 12 terms) are well served by the absence of a true contest for those seats.  As far as the majority minority districts created by the Voting Rights Act, it can be argued that packing minorities into such districts actually minimizes the influence of those voters, since no one outside of their districts has to pay any attention to their concerns. That said, race is a place where I will tread very softly, if at all. The experience of being a minority is not one that can be shared.

So reform away. We'd have a very different Congress, maybe one that had an interest in solving our problems.

Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment