Friday, September 5, 2014

Dropbox, Spider Oak and Nude Photos of Jennifer Lawrence

Eli,

Someone hacked iCloud and downloaded nudie pics of Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Ariana Grande, and others. (I don't know who Ariana Grande is).

I don't have nude pictures of myself, so now worries about having them hacked and downloaded, but I am an iCloud user. All of my iCloud storage is of Apple related apps: iPhoto, Mail, Pages, my phone's camera, my iPhone and iPad backup files.

I'm a big fan of Dropbox, now $99 per year for 1 terabyte of storage. I passed on the recent Spider Oak offer of $125 per year for unlimited storage. Spider Oak isn't as easy to use as Dropbox and doesn't integrate with as many apps as Dropbox. But it is secure, in that your files are encrypted at your device, and the encrypted file is stored by Spider Oak. If someone hacks Spider Oak, they'll get an encrypted file without a key.

With the hacking of iCloud, I'm regretting my decision to pass on the Spider Oak offer.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment