Friday, August 3, 2018

My Primary Ballot

Bill,


The missus and I are headed to the Canadian Rockies for our annual August walk up-and-down the mountain. I'm hoping they let us in without having to apply for refugee status, and that they don't deport us at least until vacation is over. We'll be away during the August primary, and so, faithful voters that we are, have our absentee ballots in hand. Here are this Democrat's choices to meet their
Republican opponents in the general election.


Governor-Ned Lamont. An easy choice. Don't know what I'll do if Joe Ganim gets the nod. I've voted for a lot of Republican governors, but if the choice ends up between a crook and a Trumpist I might have to sit that one out.


Lieutenant Governor-Eva Zimmerman-this choice will have you rolling your eyes I am sure. Her politics are undoubtedly to the left of mine. Like my grandfather, she is a labor organizer, so there is a tug of the heartstrings. She is well spoken and seems reasonably bright. Her opponent, Susan Bysiewicz is a hack in the classic mold. The deal she made with Lamont to withdraw from the governor's race in exchange for his support is classic backroom stuff (and certainly no credit to Lamont).  Besides, how much damage can a lieutenant governor do? I know you'll remind me of that statement if she ever ascends to the top office.


For Congress in the Fighting Fifth-Mary Glassman. Here I get to do what I am well known and justifiably criticized for, which is to take the opposite side of the argument I just made for Eva Zimmerman. Glassman is a run-of-the-mill candidate, with middle-of-the-road (or what passes for middle-of-the-road nowadays) Democratic positions, and seems reasonably capable. Jahana Hayes? Where do I begin? A loudmouthed, deeply stupid candidate who has no idea how governing works and will accomplish nothing except to make the House more polarized. She and those like her represent the Democratic equivalent of the Tea Party wing on the other side, with all its attendant ills. What's worse, a Hayes candidacy will make this race much more competitive against whatever Trump fanatic ends up on the other side.


For Attorney General-William Kim. The son of immigrants. A University of Chicago Law grad. Best equipped to carry on the fight.




 Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment