Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

I saw Zero Dark Thirty in the theatre recently.

I wasn't sure if I would be able to watch it at all because on 9/11 as I exited my office across the street from the Twin Towers I turned and watched people die as they jumped from the towers. Since then there have been things I can't and won't re-live.

One of my favorite podcasts is RadioLab and the latest edition relays the story of a woman who is raped and for years suffers deeply for the crime committed against her. (Of course, there is a twist to the story, but I won't spoil it for you).

One day a social worker tells her:
"At some point, victims reach the point where they understand that the anger and hatred they are feeling is really damaging themselves and their families and they need to let go of it."
I don't know when I let go of it, but I did. I don't know if it was a conscious decision, or if the anger just faded away bit by bit, day by day. And I wonder how much damage I did to myself and my family during those years of anger and hatred. God bless them, they stuck with me anyway.

Now my son is battling his demons, and at times he nurtures and feeds his anger and hatred, and in the process damages himself and his family. We all pray one day he will realize he needs to let go of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment