Friday, September 21, 2018

Jags 31 NE 20

Eli,

I don't know when I flipped past the NE game. I just remember the score was Jags big, NE little. "That's too bad," I thought,  "Maybe because the defensive coach with the beard is gone," and flipped.

Mabye I'm just bored with football and the way the rules have become so complex. Could be since I've deliberately cut my cable bills by eliminating premium channels including ESPN and NFL channel I'm unable to watch games I want to watch. Since I'm a Bronco fan, I'm bound to have less interest unless the Broncos are on. Maybe the NFL is still caught in delivery mechanisms from the prior century. That is, when I want to watch a TV show, I don't wait for it to be aired, I log on the internet and watch it. The NFL is getting there, but isn't there yet. All of those reasons would reduce my interest in football.

The kneeling has an impact as well.

I get a certain amount of enjoyment from football and am willing to pay a certain price (dollars and time). The NFL has been reducing my enjoyment with the rule complexity and kneeling and increasing the cost by sticking to a traditional distribution method.

I was thinking about this when Serena Williams went through her melt-down at the US Open. Her behavior reduced my enjoyment of the game. I had the exact same reaction when McEnroe, Connors and Nastase had their meltdowns during matches. I simply enjoy the game less and because of that am unwilling to pay the same price, in time and dollars, as previously.

Management and laobr of the NFL and the USTA have made decisions about the product they are asking me to buy and increasingly I'm saying, "no thanks." It has nothing to do with Black Lives Matter, or Trump or MeToo of Sexism or the Patriarchy. I just want to watch football and tennis. If you start throwing extraneous, to me, issues into it, my enjoyment diminishes and I'll pay less.


Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment