Sunday, January 21, 2018

What is Wrong with the NFL?

Eli,

This was kind of shocking to me, kind of.

NFL ratings were down 16% this weekend for its divisional round match ups compared to the same weekend last year. That includes Saturday's games on NBC and CBS down 6% and 10% and Sunday's playoff games on CBS and Fox down 15% and 27%.
Only kind of shocking to me because my Broncos were out of the picture long ago, so I stopped caring that much. And I'm sure there's something about big market teams out of the picture and all that, but still, the drop is pretty big.

I've heard a lot of theories: Kapernick and the kneeling turning off viewers (turned me off), crappy quarterbacks (makes sense to me), the increased focus on the dangers of the game (bothers me). I'd add the increasing complication of the rules and the interruption to the flow of the game interpretation of those rules create.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment